Happy New Year!
Happy New Year! Out with the old, in with the new: may you be happy the whole year through. We hope to help start your year a little easier by providing a checklist to make sure your computer is up to date and running strong to support you throughout the year.
Step one: Start the new year without stress….Make sure your computer is strong and ready to last
How to tell if your computer is outdated? If it is over 6 years old, it is not strong enough to install the latest operating system, or if it is slowing down on you. Computers typically last 6 to 10 years because computer hardware advances so quickly these days, it has to keep up with the demanding software (operating system) that it is running. The hardware also begins to slow down due to old age, and some parts will eventually stop running. Hardware will also begin to loose connection to older computers, and will not be compatible with it. Computers are similar to cars, you do not want to put too much money into an old car to replace parts when you can use that money to purchase a more reliable one. Minor tune-ups and updates are necessary when you have a computer, but the older they get, they begin to have major problems and that is when you should start thinking about replacing the computer. Do not spend more time fixing it rather than using it.
Step two: Keep your computer happy, and maintain its performance throughout the year.
We use and rely on our computers more than ever before. It is important to keep them updated.
- Run your anti-malware programs and scan them once a week. There are thousands of viruses and scams on the internet, be aware, and protect your computer with your anti-virus and anti-malware program.
- You should also empty the recycle bin. Many people throw things in the trash which still takes up space on the computer so it is always good to empty the recycle bin once a week as well.
- Run a cleanup program to remove temporary files, and delete browser files/ history
- Uninstall unnecessary programs (set an appointment to have it cleaned for you if you are not sure what to un-install)
Step three: Make sure you are backing up your files!
Computers can and will crash at any time, to prevent yourself from loosing files, implement a backup system. There are many options, you can try a cloud backup…ABM uses “crashplan” or you can simply use an external hard drive/flash drive and setup automatic backup within the windows or mac operating system.
Additional tips to starting your new year the right way!
- Do not automatically save passwords on your accounts in your browser. Type them in everytime
- Make sure all hardware is plugged into a surge protector to prevent hardware failure if a power outage occurs.
- Clean dust from inside and outside of your computers, printers, monitors, and other peripherals.
- Purchase ink for your printers.
- Keep a record of software license keys just in case the software has to be reinstalled in the future.
Happy New Year!